Cash Alternatives for Charitable Giving


Thinking about donating? Think of these choices.

Provided by Julee R. Sarto, AIF®

The year is winding down, and you may be thinking of giving. In fact, you may want to explore the different ways in which you can donate to a charity or non-profit organization, apart from just making a cash gift. Consider some of the alternatives.

Donor-advised funds. DAFs are essentially charitable savings accounts. Some are created and run by 501(c)(3) non-profits. Others are offered by brokerages and banks.1,2

You can direct assets into a DAF for future charitable gifts. The bank, brokerage, or non-profit takes legal control of these assets, and may offer you investment choices for the assets and a selection of charities to which you may donate some or all of the assets in a given year. As a donor, you are eligible for a tax deduction in the year of the gift(s). If you like the general idea of “giving to charity” rather than to a specific charity, a DAF may appeal to you.1,2

Qualified charitable distributions (QCDs). Are you age 70 or older? Do you have a traditional Individual Retirement Arrangement (IRA)? While annual required minimum distributions (RMDs) from an IRA will bring you income, those RMDs could also mean extra income tax.

If you are looking for ways to potentially manage your tax bill, one choice is to donate your RMD to charity via a QCD. With the help of a financial professional, you arrange a direct payment of some or all of your RMD to charity (there is a $100,000 cap). All of the donated amount may be excluded from your gross income for the year of the donation. You can make a QCD starting in the year you turn 70½, though you do not have to take your first RMD until age 72.3

Generally, distributions from traditional IRAs must begin once you reach age 72. The money distributed to you is taxed as ordinary income. When such distributions are taken before age 59½, they may be subject to a 10% federal income tax penalty.

Donations of highly appreciated stocks. Do you itemize your deductions, rather than simply taking the standard deduction each year? Many non-profits and charities may accept gifts of securities.

There are potential advantages for both the donor and charity here, compared with a cash gift. For example, say you own stock and you are considering selling the share and giving the cash from the sale to your favorite charity. You can do that, but if you sell the shares, you might face a capital gain. If you donate the stock to the charity, the charity will take possession of the stock and as the donor, you may be able to deduct the gift.4

Gift bunching. Taxpayers have the opportunity to “bunch” (i.e., time) charitable gifts if they want to itemize deductions in a certain year instead of taking the standard federal tax deduction.5

You can still claim the charitable giving deduction rather than the standard deduction, but only if you itemize. If you do itemize, then your charitable deduction for cash gifts can potentially be as large as 60% of your adjusted gross income. Any amount exceeding that threshold can be carried forward for up to five years.5

As you consider all this, please remember that tax laws are subject to change without notice, and this article is not intended as tax or investment advice. Consult your financial professional before making any charitable gifting, tax, or investment decision.

Julee R. Sarto, AIF® may be reached at

Check the background of this firm on FINRA’s BrokerCheck.


1. Internal Revenue Service, September 7, 2021

2. U.S. News, August 21, 2020

3. Kiplinger, October 4, 2021

4. Investopedia, September 21, 2021

5. Drexel University, November 30, 2020

Securities offered by Registered Representatives through Private Client Services, LLC. Member FINRA/SIPC

Executive Wealth Management (EWM) is a Registered Investment Advisor with the Securities and Exchange Commission. Reference to registration does not imply any specific level of qualification or skill. Investment Advisor Representatives of EWM offer Investment Advice and Financial Planning Services to customers located within the United States.